Animals, Birds, Insects in Kudumbi

Shaji Lekshmanan
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Hiya,

Just wondering what names do we have for different animals, birds, insects in kudumbi?  May be we can make a massive dictionary together!

I can list a few, (from what I heard from my grand parents.. from my wild memory)

Dog - SUNE സുണെ, PETTO പെട്ടോ
Goat - BHOKKO-DU (male) ഭൊക്കോടു, BHOK-DI ഭൊക്ടി (female)
Cat - MAJJORE മജ്ജോരെ
Cow - GAYI  ഗായി
Bull  - PADDO പഡോ
Monkey - MANH-KODU മങ്ക്കോടു
Chicken - KOKKOODE  കൊക്കുടെ
Rooster - KOMB-BO കൊമ്പോ
Fish - MAHOLI മഹോളി
Crab - KUL-LI  കുള്ളി
Prawn - SUNGOTTE  സുന്ഗോട്ടെ
Tiger - VAAGU വാഗു

Appreciate if you folks could post what you know.

Cheers !!
Shaji

Note: Google Malayalam Translator
http://www.google.com/transliterate/indic/Malayalam

Re: Animals, Birds, Insects in Kudumbi

Santosh Kumar
Hi,
  Your cute list is appreciated. But here are the corrections

Bull  - PADDO  (Stess the 'D')
Monkey - Manh-KODU

Santosh

Re: Animals, Birds, Insects in Kudumbi

Shaji Lekshmanan
Administrator
Hi Santhosh

Thanks for the clarification. I have modified the same. Do list down if you know some more

Regards
Shaji

Re: Animals, Birds, Insects in Kudumbi

Santosh Kumar
Hi Shaji,
              Thanks for the prompt reply .I shall collect some interesting items and send it as asap.By the way there is new social disorder which is becoming apprehensive among our parent. I wanted to bring this for discussion. Can i create a thread ? Help me out.

Regds
Santosh

On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 8:39 AM, Shaji Lekshmanan (via Nabble) <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Santhosh

Thanks for the clarification. I have modified the same. Do list down if you know some more

Regards
Shaji

This email is a reply to your post @ http://n2.nabble.com/Animals%2C-Birds%2C-Insects-in-Kudumbi-tp1674916p1680647.html

Santosh Kumar
Chertala
Kerala

Social issue to discuss

Santosh Kumar
Hi Shaji,
Sorry contd.. from last mail.Our community is perhaps one of the linguistic minorties in Kerala. There is new social disorder which is making our parents apprehensive about the marital prosperity of their children .Though this not a issue to worry now , but surely in few years its going to affect our community also.How do start a thread for this issue. Plz help me out. I shall explain this to u in the next mail.

Santosh

Re: Social issue to discuss

Shaji Lekshmanan
Administrator
Hi Santhosh,

Please feel free to create a thread under "Community" section and brief about the social disorder. Let our folks throw opinions about it

Cheers !!
Shaji

Re: Animals, Birds, Insects in Kudumbi

Rajeev
Dear Shaji,

How are you....

hope in a festival mood of New Year..........

really thank you to popularise our own language.. as we at my home use to talk our language only and the dictionery idea is very good.

I was sick for a week and today only joined office .......

let me prepare a list of animal, birds and insects list in kudumbi whihc is not in your list.

regards
Rajeev

Re: Social issue to discuss

Rajeev
Hello Santhosh,

Let me introduce first - Rajeev P.L. from Pizhala, Ernakulam.

working as a senior executive of a Spice export Unit at Pollachi............

and i hope you mean to say the social issue of getting married of children ....

yes me to feel it

thanks
Rajeev

Re: Animals, Birds, Insects in Kudumbi

Divya TD
This post was updated on .
hai.......

There is some more animal  names that i know;;;

Elephant-Esothi
Donkey-Gaddov
Ant-Mooyi,unnali
Snake-Sorop